We had been detecting for a certain time that we had problems in completing the tasks of each team member. The management team centralized everything: operative decisions and more relevant tasks. The consequence of this situation is that employees just carrying out micro-tasks without a vision beyond what they had entrusted. That promotes the next behaviors in employees:

 

  • Not being able to carry out their task well as they do not have more extensive knowledge of the whole project.

  • Employees have to ask details of the task and made continuous questions

  • Misunderstandings with the autonomy to make decisions.

  • Tasks not performed due to not having clear responsibilities.

  • Stagnation in the personal development of team members.

  • Lack of contribution to solutions to problems.

After knowing the delegation board, we decided to put it into practice:

In our case, we started designing a matrix with the key tasks and responsibilities of each member of the team, and determining the optimum level of delegation and the current one, to make a little diagnosis and know where we want to arrive.

On the one hand, the management and the team member previously established the current state and which they understood would be optimal for proper operation separately. 

We first made the comparison between what the direction believed and what the team members perceived. The Direction observed that there was a very large difference between the perceptions between the two matrices, in such a way that the role ambiguity that the team members were suffering was evident. As the level of delegation in each task was not clear, there was great insecurity on the part of the team members to be able to carry them out. In the end, it is a problem if I have to do it, I have to consult, they have to give me info, etc. In the end, there are fears, insecurities, etc., which end up putting up barriers to good job performance and creating significant problems within the organization.

After this, a poker delegation was made giving the explanations on the part of each part to be able to reach an agreement as to the level that is really being reached and to which one should reach. The delegation poker showed us a fairly high match and we created a common matrix.  We didn't have any problems, but regarding the desired level we have taken into account above all the level in which the team member would be comfortable. As we get closer to the established delegation objectives, we will make revisions to try to increase the delegation, obviously if it is considered that way by both parties.



 

 

 

 

 

The next step was to analyze task by task, what was the level of delegation that we desired to be achieved and actions/deadlines were drawn up to make it possible. Every month a meeting is held to verify what is the improvement done, and what are the next actions to reach new levels.

 

The final result of the application of this practice has been:

 

  • All the member of the team has the whole knowledge of which the individual responsibilities are and what level of autonomy is desirable.

  • Be able to support the execution of certain tasks based on the autonomy capacity of each person.

  • Have a plan to increase the autonomy of each person.

  • Increase individual autonomy and therefore motivation and commitment.

  • Increase in the solutions or ideas provided.

Greater control of the task and better response to clients when faced with problems

 

More info at https://management30.com/practice/delegation-poker/

image002.png
image0021.png